Spring 2021 Session
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Spring 2021 session will take place online. This page provides information about the virtual bands and some tips for installing and configuring the Zoom application.
Please note that links to the printable music parts will be sent to registrants by the band leaders the week before rehearsals begin, around April 5, 2021.
Key Information Applying to All Band Rehearsals
- Dates: Nine weeks (eight rehearsals) from April 12, 2021 to and including the week of June 7, 2021, skipping Victoria Day week (May 24).
- Time: 7:00-8:00 p.m.
- Location: Zoom meeting online; participants will receive an invitation by band leaders’ email prior to the beginning of each weekly Zoom meeting.
- Fees: The fee will be $60 for your first band and $30 for each additional band.
- Refunds: Withdrawal must take place before the third week to receive a full refund minus a $25 administrative charge.
- Registration: Registration for the Spring 2021 virtual session will be open from March 12, 2021 to March 30, 2021.
- Concert: Due to the circumstances, there will be no concert.
Description of Bands
Jazz Sonic Tonic (Band Leader – Cathy Wilcox)
Jazz band, easy to medium-easy, levels 1-3
* Piano music grade 6-9 conservatory level 1-3
Enjoy a broad range of jazz, big band, funk and rock music that will make your spirit soar! Musicians with one or more years of experience* on an instrument are welcome! We will focus on five pieces, with optional additional pieces.
- A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square
- Blues in the Night
- What a Wonderful World
- I Heard It Through the Grapevine
- Don’t You Worry ‘Bout a Thing
Spring Songbirds (Band Leader – Colin Williamson)
Concert band, intermediate level (medium-easy to medium) 1.5-2.5
Enjoy Tuesday evenings at 7 pm with a virtual intermediate band experience. This variety of tuneful and popular band selections are sure to bring sunshine and food for the soul.
- Crown of Castile Spanish March
- Appalachian Morning
- Stone Mountain Fantasy
- Hymn to Freedom
- Disney Film Favorites
- Tijuana Brass in Concert
- Paths of Glory
Scenic Soundscapes (Band Leader – Felicia Persaud)
Concert band, easy-intermediate level 1-1.5
Enjoy a picturesque tour for beginner and early intermediate musicians! Join us on Wednesday evenings for pieces that conjure beautiful scenes through rich harmonies and driving rhythms. There is something for everyone!
- Spring Fanfare by Nicole Piunno
- Ancient flower by Yukiko Nishimura
- Bloom by Cait Nishimura
- Night fury by Carol Brittin-chambers
- The hanging tree
- Three movements from water music
Spring Classics (Band Leader – Colin Williamson)
Concert band, advanced-intermediate levels (medium) 1.5-3
Looking for just a little more challenge? Thursday evenings at 7 pm we continue with inspiring and tuneful music from a wide variety of styles. Our music will still be at the intermediate level but just a little bit more demanding, with a slightly expanded range of notes and more interesting rhythms.
How to Participate in Virtual Band Rehearsals
- All rehearsals will be conducted online via the Zoom app.
- Members will need to install the Zoom app ahead of time. See below for some tips on installing and configuring Zoom.
- Members will be expected to download and print their music from Dropbox.
- Typically, band leaders will conduct while playing an MP3 recording of the music. All players will be muted and so won’t be able to hear what others are playing.
Tips for Installing and Configuring Zoom
- Zoom is available for smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktop computers.
- Ensure that you have downloaded and installed the most recent update.
- For tablets and smartphones, visit the corresponding app store.
- For laptop and desktop computers, visit the Zoom download page.
Tips for Participating in an ONHB Zoom Rehearsal
- Setting yourself up:
- Find a quiet place to set up, with a strong WiFi signal (or use an Ethernet cable if you have one to connect to your router). Place your music stand where you can still see your band leader on the Zoom screen while playing your instrument.
- Use headphones/earphones for the best audio experience.
- Click on the Zoom meeting link that you received from your band leader and follow the prompts to join the meeting.
- During the Zoom rehearsal:
- Familiarise yourself with the buttons on the bottom of your Zoom screen, particularly with the mute, video and chat options. It is generally recommended to mute your mic when first joining – your band leader will guide you further on this. You have the option to select whether your video is on or off during rehearsal. For more info on Zoom controls, click here.
- Your band leader will control the music link, allowing you to play along while muted. He/she will not hear you play, nor will the other band members.
- If you have questions during rehearsal, please use the Chat button.
- Optional resource: Top 10 Tips for Good Zoom Hygiene and Etiquette in Education
Don’t hesitate to ask for help with any of this. Your fellow musicians and the band leaders may be able to help you. You can also email the webmaster at email@example.com and they will make sure you get the assistance you require to make the most of your online band rehearsals.