Fall 2021 Session
This page provides information about the virtual bands and some tips for installing and configuring the Zoom application.
Please note that links to the printable music parts will be sent to registrants by the band leaders the week before rehearsals begin, around September 27, 2021.
Key Information Applying to All Virtual Band Rehearsals
- Dates: Ten consecutive rehearsals beginning the week of October 4 and running to December 6 (Monday’s jazz band will finish December 13, taking October 11 off)
- Time: 7:00-8:00 p.m.
- Location: Zoom meeting online; participants will receive an invitation by band leaders’ email prior to the beginning of each weekly Zoom meeting.
- Fees: The fee will be $60 per band.
- Refunds: Withdrawal must take place before the third week to receive a full refund minus a $25 administrative charge.
- Registration: Registration for the Fall 2021 virtual session will be open August 27 until September 17.
- Concert: Due to the circumstances, there will be no concert.
Description of Bands
Jazz Sonic Tonic (Band Leader – Cathy Wilcox)
Jazz band, easy to medium, levels 1-3
* Piano music grade 6-9 conservatory
Enjoy a broad range of jazz, swing, big band, funk, and rock music that will make your spirit soar! Musicians with one or more years of experience* on an instrument are welcome!
- Bridge Over Troubled Water
- What the World Needs Now
- Son of the Chicken
- Soulful Strut
- Big Band Theory
- Take the A Train
- A String of Pearls
- Mack the Knife
The Coming Back Band (Band Leader – Colin Williamson)
Concert band, intermediate level (1.5-2.5)
Get ready for your next musical adventure. Music from Mozart to the Beach Boys. Beautiful melodies, rich harmonies, and some exciting rhythms will make for a joyful evening. This Zoom band will offer an optional Jamulus audio stream. Click here to learn more.
- Coming Back
- The Beach Boys Greatest Hits
- Walking to the Sky
- Our Kingsland Spring
- Mack the Knife
- Allegro from Symphony #10
- Three Czech Songs
- Petty Harbour Bait Skiff
Autumn Winds (Band Leader – Tessa MacLean)
Concert band, intermediate level (1.5 – 2.5)
Soar through timeless classics, lush harmonies, and toe-tapping Dixieland rhythms in this upper-intermediate level virtual band. Join us Wednesday evenings and explore diverse and lyrical repertoire that is sure to keep you humming the tunes all week long!
- Into the Blue
- All through the Night
- My Favourite Things
- New Orleans Promenade
- Theme from Star Trek
- Spring March
- Mozart Symphony No. 29
- Bardic Air and Reel
- Sleigh Ride
Scenic Soundscapes (Band Leader – Felicia Persaud)
Concert band, easy-intermediate level 1-2
Enjoy a world tour for beginner and intermediate musicians who enjoy a relaxed rehearsal pace! Join us on Thursday evenings for pieces that conjure beautiful scenes through rich harmonies and driving rhythms. There is something for everyone!
How to Participate in Virtual Band Rehearsals
- All rehearsals will be conducted online via the Zoom app.
- Members will need to install the Zoom app ahead of time. See below for some tips on installing and configuring Zoom.
- Members will be expected to download and print their music from Dropbox.
- Typically, band leaders will conduct while playing an MP3 recording of the music. All players will be muted and so won’t be able to hear what others are playing.
Tips for Installing and Configuring Zoom
- Zoom is available for smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktop computers.
- Ensure that you have downloaded and installed the most recent update.
- For tablets and smartphones, visit the corresponding app store.
- For laptop and desktop computers, visit the Zoom download page.
Tips for Participating in an ONHB Zoom Rehearsal
- Setting yourself up:
- Find a quiet place to set up, with a strong WiFi signal (or use an Ethernet cable if you have one to connect to your router). Place your music stand where you can still see your bandleader on the Zoom screen while playing your instrument.
- Use headphones/earphones for the best audio experience.
- Click on the Zoom meeting link that you received from your band leader and follow the prompts to join the meeting.
- During the Zoom rehearsal:
- Familiarise yourself with the buttons on the bottom of your Zoom screen, particularly with the mute, video and chat options. It is generally recommended to mute your mic when first joining – your band leader will guide you further on this. You have the option to select whether your video is on or off during rehearsal. For more info on Zoom controls, click here.
- Your band leader will control the music link, allowing you to play along while muted. He/she will not hear you play, nor will the other band members.
- If you have questions during rehearsal, please use the Chat button.
- Optional resource: Top 10 Tips for Good Zoom Hygiene and Etiquette in Education
Don’t hesitate to ask for help with any of this. Your fellow musicians and the band leaders may be able to help you. You can also email the webmaster at email@example.com and they will make sure you get the assistance you require to make the most of your online band rehearsals.