Ottawa New Horizons Band Steering Committee
Report to members June 2016
As most of you will know, it has been agreed by the ONHB Steering Committee that matters discussed or decided at the Committee’s meetings, insofar as they may be of general interest to band members, should be reported in summarized form following the Committee’s meetings. The ONHB Steering Committee meets at least three times a year – in January, May and August/September. At the meeting held on May 26, 2016 the following matters were dealt with:
1. The final draft of a document describing the roles and responsibilities of band representatives was reviewed. With a few minor revisions it was approved.
2. Online payment of registration fees through both PayPal and email transfers was approved, being additional options now available to members.
3. The Spring Extension Concert Band was managed according to our recently approved policy which allows for the financial administration of spring extension sessions to be the responsibility of ONHB unless the group opts not to participate. The experience worked well.
4. The plan to create a closed Facebook group was approved and the Steering Committee was updated on its progress. Funding for the revision and redesign of our website was approved.
5. On the recommendation of the band directors, approval was given to repair the large brass amp and for the acquisition of a piccolo to enhance the music-making experience for the flute players in the more advanced bands (this will be deferred until the registration level is better known and the final budget for the fall is considered).
6. A bank account has now been opened for ONHB under the umbrella of Dominion-Chalmers United Church. This is specifically to provide for receipt of online payments (see #2 above) separately from the main church account. There are no chequing privileges on this account and receipts will be transferred monthly to the DCUC account, so no change in the internal controls in place for the church will occur.
7. A new jazz band is to be offered in the fall, focusing on learning how to play jazz. See more details here http://www.ottawanewhorizons.com/Registration.php under “Jazz Workshop”.
8. May Band Clinic – this was held on May 14th and we hosted visitors from Montreal, Peterborough and Potsdam. Again, it was hugely successful and very much enjoyed by all who attended – in total 120 musicians!.
9. Member survey results were reported to the committee. The response rate was excellent and the members’ comments were much appreciated. They will be considered in future planning.