Ottawa New Horizons Band Steering Committee
Report to members May 2015
As most of you will know, it has been agreed by the ONHB Steering Committee that matters discussed or decided at the Committee’s meetings, insofar as they may be of general interest to band members, should be reported in summarized form following the Committee’s meetings. The ONHB Steering Committee meets three times a year – in January, May and August. At the meeting held on May 27, 2015 the following matters were dealt with:
- Concert organization – the logistics for setting up platform seating, etc. were handled better, but the concert itself went considerably over time. We decided to maintain the concert format showcasing 15-minute contributions from all bands in order to bring everyone together, rather than to split into two separate concerts. It was agreed that individual bands shoul
d plan to recognize and thank their conductors at the last practice rather than during the concert and the time frame allowed for the band presentations at the concert should be carefully maintained. In this way we hope that future concerts will be kept to an acceptable length.
- Donations received at the April concert totalled $964.00 and were shared 50/50 between OrKidstra and Dominion-Chalmers.
policy/procedure guidelines are being developed to support band directors and to
assist guest conductors.
- The possibility of provid
ing on-line facility for payment of registration fees is being investigated. We hope to have this resolved in time for the January 2016 session registrations.
- A pie chart showing how our registration fees were used in the last session is provided for your information.
- Future events:
- Our September 2015 session will commence with a Beginner theory evening on Tuesday, September 8th and the regular session will begin in the week of September 14th.
- Our December concert will take place on Tuesday, December 1st, so mark your calendars!