Ottawa New Horizons Band Steering Committee
Report to members January 2015
As most of you will know, it has been agreed by the ONHB Steering Committee that matters discussed or decided at the Committee’s meetings, insofar as they may be of general interest to band members, should be reported in summarized form following the Committee’s meetings. The ONHB Steering Committee meets three times a year – in January, May and August. At the meeting held on January 7, 2015 the following matters were dealt with:
1. Our budgeting is normally based on a minimum of ten weeks of regular rehearsals per session. There will be no practices in the week of March Break (March 16/20). Extra practices have been scheduled in case of bad weather cancellations – if these do not occur it will give you bonus time!
2. The document – Guidelines for Purchase and Distribution of Instruments for the Ottawa New Horizons Band – was finalized and approved. Two new tubas and some needed percussion instruments were purchased for the September session.
3. Further policy/procedure guidelines are to be developed to standardize other procedures – e.g. a general guide for new band directors, organizational logistics for concerts and events, etc. The band directors comprise a sub-committee for this task.
4. A pie chart showing how our registration fees were used in the last session is provided for your information. (attached as a .pdf file)
5. Future events:
* Our April concert will be held on Sunday, April 12th at 3:00 p.m.
* The Two Beats Ahead jazz band will be participating in a fundraiser for the Guide Dogs for the Blind on February 21st at Orchard View Wedding & Conference Centre, 6346 Deermeadow Drive, Greely.
* We plan to hold another Swing Dance Nite on Friday, April 17th at DC.
* On Saturday, May 2nd we shall be hosting New Horizons Bands from Montreal and Potsdam for an afternoon of music-making and a pot-luck dinner – stay tuned!