After the normal term ends with the April ONHB Spring Concert, there are often a variety of spring extension bands. These generally run about 8 weeks, depending on the availability of band leaders and venues. The fee is set by the volunteer organizers to cover the band leader, music and rental of rehearsal venue. In past years, examples have included an all-level concert band, two jazz bands, clarinet boot camps and a flute choir. Further information will be provided as the time approaches.
The Spring Extension Bands for Spring 2017 will include:
1. Spring Extension Concert Band
- Sheila White will lead, assisted by Cathy Wilcox.
- Theme: CANADA 150+.
- The music will include a wide range of styles celebrating the music of Canada. It should please people from all across this great nation, including sports fans and rock-pop fans.
- All this fun! Only $70.
- Tuesday, May 9 – June 20, 2017.
- 6:15 – 8:30 pm.
- Location – Dominion-Chalmers United Church.
- Possibility of a concert June 20, TBA before the end of May.
- Please register online by April 17. Online payment or email transfer are preferred.
- Fee $70.
- Click here to register.
Frequently Asked Questions:Who is eligible to play in the Spring Extension Concert Band?ONHB musicians from all levels are invited to join. Come and play what you can! Between April 17- April 25, if there are still openings and depending on instrument, we may accept applications from external musicians. It is best to check with Sandra Legault before registering after April 17.How many pieces and what level is the repertoire?We usually select 6-10 pieces (depending on length), and the level ranges from 1.5 (example: Celtic Air and Dance) to 3 (example: Gabriel’s Oboe).What does the fee cover?The fee covers rental of the facility and custodian, band leaders, new music purchased, processing and banking fees, and possibly refreshments (depending on the number that enroll).
- Please contact Sandra Legault if you have any questions
2. Spring Extension Downtown Jazz Band (Intermediate)
- The Downtown Jazz Band is for the intermediate jazz musician who wants to perform in a big band. This band gives members the opportunity to play jazz, Latin and R&B tunes in a fun and supportive atmosphere
- Thursdays at 7-9 pm.
- April 20 to June 15, 2017 (except for May 25).
- Location – Merivale High School
- Private Concert on June 22.
- Registration email, and payment by cheque or cash once we know the numbers attending. To join, please email Jody Gomber before April 9.
3. Clarinet Bootcamps
There are some details still to be worked out, but possibilities include:
- You must be able to play happily in the top register and also (maybe unhappily…) be able to play a little altissimo
- Where: DC
- When: Wednesdays in May and June, 6-ish to 8-ish (exact dates and times to be confirmed)
- Cost: Determined by the number of participants. Somewhere in the region of $60. We need around 25 people to keep the cost down.
- You must be able to get out top register notes, even if you still don’t play them fast. If you can’t get between the bottom and top registers very well, that’s ok. No altissimo required.
- Where: TBD
- When: Some Tuesdays in May and June, 6-ish to 8-ish (exact dates and times to be confirmed)
- Cost: Determined by the number of participants. Somewhere in the region of $80.
- If there is a group of 10 to 15 people who want to do this, we can make it work at someone’s house, like in previous years. It is unlikely there will be a big enough group to rent a venue, that would need 20+ people.
- If you are having trouble with top register, you can get into groups of 2 or 3 for a Bootcamp at my house. Same price for multiple people as for an individual lesson, so the cost is lower and you have people to play with so it’s more fun.
- Where: My house near Lansdowne. Lots of free parking.
- When: Day or evening to suit.
- Cost: One hour is $50.
Please contact Angela Blackwell if interested in any of the clarinet bootcamps.