Greetings Capital Crescendos,
Theme of the Week: Getting ready for our end of session concert. We voted and selected our pieces for our concert on December 16. We will be playing (in this order) KIng’s Row, Jazzoo and Magnificent Seven. Remember to continue to listen to the links, use slow practice of the tricky parts and use a metronome to help with steady rhythms.
Administration: It looks like the snow is here to stay. Remember to bring a change of footwear so we don’t track slush into Woodroffe. Slippers are fine.
Social Activities: Following our rehearsal on December 6, there will be a gathering at The Colonnade on Carling St, just across from the Carlingwood Shopping Centre. Their specialty is pizza. All are welcome. Our gatherings are great opportunities to get to know those musicians playing other instruments.
This Week’s Rehearsal:
We started this week’s rehearsal with sectionals. We then worked on our three performance pieces, starting with King’s Row which is a march in the British tradition. Marches are played with a steady beat. To practise keeping the beat steady, consider using a metronome. Set the metronome at ♩= 96, and start by tapping your foot to incorporate the rhythm, then try singing your part. If you find the metronome is driving you crazy, slow it down or turn it off and try again another day. Also remember that following a decrescendo such as in bar 15, there is a natural tendency to slow down. Make sure to keep bar 16 at tempo. Try to avoid taking a breath at bar 74; instead take a breath at bar 72 just before the last beat of the bar (or second last beat if you have a half note). Next we worked on Magnificent Seven, focusing on having a strong beginning. At bar 39, we are all together. Make sure to listen to each other. And finally we worked on Jazzoo.
We will start with sectionals again next week. Make sure to raise any outstanding musical issues with your clinicians. Please continue to bring Broadway Favorites and Tradition of Exellence 2 to our rehearsals. Next week, we will focus on our pieces for the Dec 16th concert.
Thursday December 13 or Monday December 17 afternoon: tentative dates for community concert
Sunday December 16 starting at 1:00: ONHB Seasonal concert at Brookfield High School
1. King’s Row by C. STROMMEN, C https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2442085
2. Scottish Ballad, William Douglas, arr. Robert Sheldon. https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2478608
3. La La Land (Highlights from) by Justin Hurwitz, arr Michael Brown https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10771426
4. Autumn Rains by Patrick Roszell https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10908189
5. Flourish, Feldstein & Clark https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2474688
6. Magnificent Seven by Elmer Bernstein/arr. Phillippe https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10015317
7. Jazzoo by David Shaffer https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2481416