Greetings Capital Crescendos,
NO rehearsal next Thursday, March 16th.
No ONHB rehearsals during March Break (March 13 – 17)
This week’s rehearsal
The first hour of our rehearsal started with our final clinics of the year. Percussion joined the brass clinic with Heather, while the woodwinds clinic was led by Angela. For the second half with the full band Cathy took the baton. We ran through Hava Nagila focussing on bar 109 to the end, then turned to Birdland where we paid special attention to the tenuto notes (a tenuto note is played smoothly, holding it until the next note is played). Next we played Celtic Air and Dance, which is part of our common repertoire. Finally we played Air for Band with our own Barry (euphonium) at the podium.
Sheila asked that we have a look at all our pieces over the March Break and remember to zone in on any areas that are particularly challenging. The following week we will have a full run through of:
Land of the Midnight Sun
Air for Band
Concert Announcement: There will be a very special harp concert at Dominion Chalmers on Sunday March 26 at 3:00 featuring both solo and group performances. A rare opportunity to hear 10 harps together on one stage. Guest artists include 2 ONHB clinicians and director; Heather Flinn and Sheila White. This is a joint fundraiser: proceeds will go to help Orkidstra with its new harp program for children as well as to Dominion Chalmers. Tickets are available for sale at Dominion Chalmers (please see Charlie in the office on the main floor) and at the Leading Note. For more info: http://orkidstra.ca/event/10-harps-concert/
Remember to check your email the morning of band rehearsal. If there is ever any urgent issue such as a weather interruption or a room change, Sheila or Leslie will send out an email Thursday morning.
1, Land of the Midnight Sun by Vince Gassi http://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10050559
2. Air for ConcertBand By Frank Erickson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrCsUo1ribI
3. Birdland by Joe Zawinul, arr. L Norred https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJ0it4TfkE&list=PLd_hfxSSaY8AvhLFyy4MxyRgmJfWjs0e3&index=2
4. Birdland – original, as performed by composer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqashW66D7o&list=RDpqashW66D7o&index=1
5. Birdland – Manhattan Transfer version, with their added lyrics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1nj6Yla_Vg (great choreography and outfits!)
6. Hava Nagila http://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10312051
7. Celtic Air and Dance, arr. M Sweeney http://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10033567
8. Celtic Air and Dance – the second piece (A Fairy’s Love song) as sung in Gaelic by the Rankin Family: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nnVxTj_Ujw(go to 1:35 )
9. 76 Trombones, arr. M Sweeney https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VTB4sCv9HA NOTE: we will be playing at a slower, even tempo
We had a great turnout for our Beer After Band at Connor’s Gaelic Pub this week. It was an excellent way to start our March break.
Thursday March 16: No band rehearsal
Thursday April 6: Dress rehearsal – Final band rehearsal of the session
Sunday April 9 at 3:00: ONH end of Session Spring Concert at Dominion-Chalmers
Thursday, April 13th: Community Concert Location TBA
Saturday May 6, 2017: Tentative date for ONHB workshop with Potsdam and Montreal New Horizons bands