Greetings Capital Crescendos,
Theme for the Week: Sing through the phrases. Always pay attention to playing with quality and richness of tone. Tone is the quality or character of the sound we are making.
This week’s rehearsal
This week we began with our first hour in clinics then moved into the Sanctuary for our second hour and full band rehearsal. First we played Air for Band where we paid attention to creating a rich, smooth sound like the consistency of “solid Belgian chocolate”. Then we turned to Land of the Midnight Sun. Our focus here is to keep the tempo steady – practice using a metronome set between 90 and 100. AND, watch the conductor’s baton.
We will start with our final (bonus!) clinics next week. All woodwinds will be with Angela in room 16 and all brass and percussion with be with Heather downstairs in Fellowship Hall. Cathy Wilcox will conduct full band for the second hour.
Next week in full band we will focus on and
A rare opportunity to hear 10 harps together on one stage. Guest artists include 2 ONHB clinicians and director; Heather Flinn and Sheila White. This is a joint fundraiser: proceeds will go to help Orkidstra with its new harp program for children as well as to Dominion Chalmers. Tickets are available for sale at Dominion Chalmers (please see Charlie in the office on the main floor) and at the Leading Note. For more info: http://orkidstra.ca/event/10-harps-concert/
Remember to check your email the morning of band rehearsal. If there is ever any urgent issue such as a weather interruption or a room change, Sheila or Leslie will send out an email Thursday morning.
Continue listening to the audio links, and zoning in on those specific areas that you find challenging in each piece.
1, Land of the Midnight Sun by Vince Gassi http://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10050559
2. Air for ConcertBand By Frank Erickson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrCsUo1ribI
3. Birdland by Joe Zawinul, arr. L Norred https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJ0it4TfkE&list=PLd_hfxSSaY8AvhLFyy4MxyRgmJfWjs0e3&index=2
4. Birdland – original, as performed by composer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqashW66D7o&list=RDpqashW66D7o&index=1
5. Birdland – Manhattan Transfer version, with their added lyrics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1nj6Yla_Vg (great choreography and outfits!)
6. Hava Nagila http://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10312051
7. Celtic Air and Dance, arr. M Sweeney http://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10033567
8. Celtic Air and Dance – the second piece (A Fairy’s Love song) as sung in Gaelic by the Rankin Family: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nnVxTj_Ujw (go to 1:35 )
9. 76 Trombones, arr. M Sweeney https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VTB4sCv9HA NOTE: we will be playing at a slower, even tempo
Our next get-together is at Connor’s Gaelic Pub following band on March 9th. Join us for some refreshments and a chance to get to know some of the people playing those “other” instruments.
Thursday March 9, 2017: Gathering at Connor’s Gaelic Pub
Thursday March 16: No band rehearsal
Thursday April 6: Dress rehearsal – Final band rehearsal of the session
Sunday April 9 at 3:00: ONH end of Session Spring Concert at Dominion-Chalmers
Thursday, April 13th: Community Concert Location TBA
Saturday May 6, 2017: Tentative date for ONHB workshop with Potsdam and Montreal New Horizons bands