Greetings Capital Crescendos,
Theme of the Week: Slow practice is the best way to really learn your parts. Remember to practise our repertoire under tempo, focussing on details such as articulations which are indicated with markings such as staccato (a dot over the note meaning notes are played short and separated from one another), tenuto (a line over the note meaning hold the note for its full length) and marcato (an upside-down V over the note meaning the note is played more forcefully than those before or after it). Pay attention to accuracy of notes, rhythms, accents and dynamics while playing under tempo.
Brass players: remember to use a cloth under your instrument to catch any moisture and, following practice, make sure to leave the floor dry.
A belated thank you to Manny (euphonium) and Genny (percussion) for last week’s and this week’s cookies.
This Week’s Rehearsal:
We started our rehearsal with sectionals where we focussed on La La Land and King’s Row.
In full rehearsal we began with the note B♭ then moved to the B♭ concert scale with Sheila varying the rhythms, dynamics and articulations. Remember to watch the conductor so we play together and at the tempo and with the dynamics that the conductor wants.
We then worked on La La Land in 4/4 time, under tempo, slow and sure, focussing on the articulation. Note that at bar 55 there is no ritardando, just a sudden decrease in tempo. Next we worked on KIng’s Row, also under tempo and focussing on the rhythms and notes. Lastly we played Scottish Ballade, listening to the complementary parts played by various instruments.
Next Rehearsal (October 25)
We will start with sectionals again at our next rehearsal on October 25th. Meanwhile, remember to continue practising the pieces we have been working on and listening to the recordings below. Also, review the following concert scales: F, Bb and Eb. Next rehearsal we will be working on Autumn Rains, Dona Nobis Pacem, Flourish and La La Land; bar 55 – 86.
Our next social event will be brunch before band on November 8 at Kristy’s.
Thursday October 18: No rehearsal
Sunday October 28 at 2:00: Annual general meeting of the Ottawa New Horizons Band
Sunday December 16 afternoon: ONHB Seasonal concert at Brookfield High School
1. King’s Row by C. STROMMEN, C https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2442085
2. Scottish Ballad, William Douglas, arr. Robert Sheldon. https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2478608
3. La La Land (Highlights from) by Justin Hurwitz, arr Michael Brown https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10771426
4. Autumn Rains by Patrick Roszell https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10908189
5. Flourish, Feldstein & Clark https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2474688
6. Magnificent Seven by Elmer Bernstein/arr. Phillippe https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10015317
7. Jazzoo by David Shaffer https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2481416