Greetings Capital Crescendos,
Theme of the Week:
1. Remember Your Posture . When playing your instrument make sure you sit up straight with your feet slightly apart. This will help with your breathing.
2. Isolate the Challenges. When practising, take your pieces apart and work slowly on the sections that are challenging. Go over them until you feel more comfortable with the notes and rhythms, then gradually increase the tempo. Ask your clinician for help with any parts that are proving difficult.
Sheila still has one extra copy of Broadway Favourites for trombone available for purchase ($10). We’ll be using this book later this session.
Remember to wear your name tags so we can all get to know each other’s names.
At the end of our session we will be performing in a community concert on a Thursday afternoon. If you have any suggestions for a venue, please let Leslie (firstname.lastname@example.org) know.
Sheila is open to hearing suggestions for pieces to work on, so let her know if you have any ideas.
This Week’s Rehearsal:
We started our rehearsal with sectionals where we focussed on Jazzoo and The Magnificent Seven.
In full rehearsal we began with the B♭ concert scale playing various rhythms. We worked specifically on the triplet rhythm, which helped us to move into the feel of swinging eighth notes. We then modified the Bb concert scale by playing two notes below the first note of the scale (B♭) and dropping the two top notes of the (B♭) concert scale to create its relative minor, the g concert minor scale.
Next we worked on The Magnificent Seven still taking it in 4/4 time and noting the dynamic markings. Leave out the ornaments for now, as these will be added in later on. Finally we worked on Jazzoo, paying particular attention to the swinging eighth notes and the accents.
Next Week’s rehearsal:
We will continue with sectionals next week. To help with practising the g concert minor scale, have a look at Tradition of Excellence, #43 – 45, 48. Also there are some excellent tone warm up exercises found in this book; #1, 8, 25, 38. Next week we will be working in full band on Scottish Ballade, King’s Row and La La Land.
Everyone is welcome! Join us for Beer (or whatever) after Band on October 11 at 3:15 at Kristy’s, located at 809 Richmond Rd. Heading out of the parking lot, turn right on Woodroffe then right on Richmond Rd and continue until you reach 809 Richmond.
Thursday October 11: Beer after Band
Thursday October 18: No rehearsal
Sunday December 16 afternoon: ONHB Seasonal concert at Brookfield High School
1. King’s Row by C. STROMMEN, C https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2442085
2. Scottish Ballad, William Douglas, arr. Robert Sheldon. https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2478608
3. La La Land (Highlights from) by Justin Hurwitz, arr Michael Brown https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10771426
4. Autumn Rains by Patrick Roszell https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10908189
5. Flourish, Feldstein & Clark https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2474688
6. Magnificent Seven by Elmer Bernstein/arr. Phillippe https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10015317