Greetings Capital Crescendos,
Theme of the Week: Listen, listen, listen! Make sure to listen to yourself when you play and listen to the other instruments in the band. Remember to listen to the links to our music both on their own and as a base for practising. And all the while remember to watch the conductor.
Sheila introduced our new percussion clinician, Brydone.
Thank you to Danielle (tenor sax) who provided our cookies this week.
At the end of our session we will be performing in a community concert on a Thursday afternoon. If you have any suggestions for a venue, please let Leslie (firstname.lastname@example.org) know.
This Week’s Rehearsal:
Our rehearsal started with sectionals where we focussed on some of the more challenging parts of our pieces.
In full rehearsal we began with the B♭ concert scale using half notes, quarter notes and eighth notes and finally we played the Bb chord ( 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of the scale). We then worked on La La Land from top to bottom, still in 4/4 although we will be taking it in cut time. Also some of the 3/4 sections will be conducted in one. Make sure to let your clinician know of any parts of La La Land that you are finding particularly challenging so they can be worked on during the sectionals. Finally we worked on King’s Row and added a decrescendo at bar 15. Again, if there are any parts in King’s Row that you find challenging, let your clinician know so that they can be worked on during sectionals.
Next Week’s rehearsal:
We will continue with sectionals next week. Both sectionals and full rehearsal will focus on The Magnificent Seven and Jazzoo. Review the Eb concert scale.
Everyone is welcome! Join us for Beer (or whatever) after Band on October 11 at 3:15 at Kristy’s, located at 809 Richmond Rd. Heading out of the parking lot, turn right on Woodroffe then right on Richmond Rd and continue until you reach 809 Richmond.
Thursday October 11: Beer after Band
Thursday October 18: No rehearsal
Sunday December 16 afternoon: ONHB Seasonal concert at Brookfield High School
1. King’s Row by C. STROMMEN, C https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2442085
2. Scottish Ballad, William Douglas, arr. Robert Sheldon. https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2478608
3. La La Land (Highlights from) by Justin Hurwitz, arr Michael Brown https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10771426
4. Autumn Rains by Patrick Roszell https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10908189
5. Flourish, Feldstein & Clark https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2474688
6. Magnificent Seven by Elmer Bernstein/arr. Phillippe https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10015317