Thanks for a great second rehearsal! Hope that those of you with cold and flu symptoms feel better soon!
In this note:
- Small group clinic teacher names and rooms for 1st hour, next rehearsal, Sept 30.
- Tip of the week
- What we played at rehearsal Sept. 23
- Save the evening of Friday, Dec. 13 – our concert at Brookfield HS!
- Go directly to your clinic rooms next Monday (set up, warm up- between 6 – 6:25)
Neil – music room #154 rhythm section (guitars, piano, kit, aux.)
Zac – staff room saxes and flutes
Rocco/Heather – auditorium stage trumpets and clarinets
Colin – music office area trombones
- Tip of the week: Edit your music so you can play steadily, at a smooth tempo. Leave out some less important (eighth or sixteenth) notes that tend to trip you up. Notes on beats 1 and 3 are often more critical.
3. Here is what we played at rehearsal (listening links – click the title):
Pink Flamingo Night (Sorenson) pro band – excerpt
Pink Flamingo Night (Sorenson) – high school band Ex.A Bb Blues Scale page 14, piece page 16 -17 with awesome one and two note solos using the flat 3 and 4 of scale. Reminder: Don’t hold it – get off the last note of measures 5, 7, 9
NEXT: Try Karen Donnelly warm up using one note of the scale – two bars of each: whole note, half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenth notes. Do the next note of the scale, etc.
Play exercises C, D and improv practice (page 15) daily this week in IPS (Smart Music or Free Interactive Practice Studio)
Blue Bossa We played measures 8 – 24 Reminders– last note in measure 9 – get in on the off- beat, (before beat 1 in measure 10). Also, observe the dotted half note+ eighth pattern in measure 19.
NEXT: Work on measures 1-7 * piano solo
Autumn Leaves/Les Feuilles Mortes We played Unison practice pattern – four bars – (get in on the “and of 1”) and measures 1 – 19 Reminder – fl/sax measures 4 and 10 are same rhythm, and m 6 and 8 are the same rhythm. tr/cl measures 12 and 18 are same rhythm, and 14 and 16 are the same rhythm.
NEXT: m 20 – 27
Ain’t No Sunshine We played m 1 – 19 Reminder: sax/fl m 8-9; tr/cl m 16 – 17 tmb m 32-33 “Ain’t no sun/ shiiiine when she’s gah –ahhn, and she’s al-ways gone too lo —ng, a-ny-tiiiime she goes a wa—-y
NEXT: trombones get the tune, and others echo (note that echo rhythms are not exact echo of trombones, so learn your part, listen to your instrument in the recording!) – measures 28 – 36
Afro Blue We played measures 5- 12 (*guitar solo with rhythm section from 9 – 12)
NEXT: work on dynamics m 5-8 (f diminuendo), m1-4, and m 21-28