Greetings Capital Crescendos,
Themes for the week: 1. Relation between major and minor scales and 2. 6/8 time:
2. In 6/8 time, there are 2 basic beats per bar. These basic beats are always dotted quarter notes. Each basic beat contains 3 sub beats (3 eighth beats). 6/8 time is also known as compound time.
This week’s rehearsal
This week’s rehearsal started with our clinics for the first hour. There will be three more clinics over the session: Feb 2, Feb 9 and March 2.
Following our refreshment break, we started our full rehearsal with the B♭(concert) scale, in unison then as a round. Next, new music was distributed for O Canada including one version for the band to play in unison and a second version with harmony parts for different instruments. Because we are playing this familiar music, we instinctively add appropriate phrasing and breathe at the correct place. Try playing the first few notes from memory. (We were able to sing a nice version of Happy Birthday as well, while we celebrated the birthday of one of our trumpet players who is also one of our social convenors). Next we turned to Land of the Midnight Sun which is in the key of d minor. New music was also distributed for 76 Trombones which we ran through at the end of rehearsal. Watch the road map for this piece. At the end of Bar 74 it has a DS sign which means that from there we go back to bar 7 (which is where the sign is) then continue to Bar 36, then jump to the Coda and play to the end.
As you get back into your practice routine, remember to play through the warm ups on page 42 and 43 in the Tradition of Excellence Book 2. These provide for a good review of the 3 main key signatures that we will be playing from. This week, have a look at the following selections from Tradition Of Excellence : Page 43; F major Chorale, #146, #43 and #41 – 44 on page 46.
1. Celtic Air and Dance, arr. M Sweeney http://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10033567
2. Land of the Midnight Sun by Vince Gassi http://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=10050559
3. Air for Band By Frank Erickson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrCsUo1ribI
4. Birdland by Joe Zawinul, arr. L Norred https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJ0it4TfkE&list=PLd_hfxSSaY8AvhLFyy4MxyRgmJfWjs0e3&index=2
5. 76 Trombones, arr. M Sweeney https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VTB4sCv9HA NOTE: we will be playing at a slower, even tempo
Photos & videos: Please let Leslie or Sheila know if you would rather not be included in any photos or videos.
Name Tags: If you have not already done so, please let us know if you need a name tag.Looking forward to seeing you all next week!